April 2-4, 2020
Theme: A Vision for Families: Exploring and Solidifying Professional Identity in Family Sciences
Location: This event will be held at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham – The Wynfrey Hotel, 1000 Riverchase Galleria, Birmingham, Alabama, United States, 35244, 205-705-1234.
SECFR rate of $119 a night.
Keynote: Dr. Francesca Adler-Baeder, Ph.D., CFLE
Dr. Francesca Adler-Baeder is a alumni professor in the department of Human Development & Family Sciences at Auburn University, the principal investigator of The Alabama Healthy Marriage & Relationship Education Initiative, the director of the National Stepfamily Resource Center, the co-director of the National Extension Relationships and Marriage Education Network, was conferred the prestigious fellow status in 2015 by the National Council on Family Relations, and in 2016 received the Outstanding Engagement Award from the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities.
SERVICE PROJECT: SECFR is asking conference attendees to bring with them 1-2 toiletries to Birmingham so that we can provide local donations to the LoveLady Center, a local Alabama non-profit that serves to help females re-enter their communities positively and productively following incarceration.
SECFR is pleased to announce this Call for Proposals for our 2020 Annual Conference to be held in Birmingham, Alabama from April 2-4, 2020. The theme of this upcoming conference is “A Vision for Families: Exploring and Solidifying Professional Identity in Family Sciences.” We are seeking high-quality proposals to be presented at our conference. All conference sessions should: be informative and relevant to family well-being, promote learner engagement, and demonstrate how your research area or topic of focus applies to the professional field of Family Sciences.
In addition, we especially desire proposals that:
- Have diverse presenters (of different nationalities; or from different institutions and geographic regions)
- Have varying levels of experience in the field (ranging from students to faculty to local practitioners)
- Contain original, innovative ideas
- Stimulate and provoke discussion
- Have strong connections to practice and/or policy
For this upcoming conference, SECFR is taking a two-pronged approach to engaging participants with the theme: “A Vision for Families: Exploring and Solidifying Professional Identity in Family Sciences.”
- A Vision for Families
- The first part of this theme is intended to encourage students, faculty, and helping professionals to submit proposals for poster and oral presentations on any topic of interest that is relevant to their “vision” of family well-being and/or family functioning as it is related to programs, policy, research, theory, and quantitative or qualitative work.
- Exploring and solidifying Professional Identity in Family Sciences
- The second part of this theme is intended to encourage faculty and helping professionals to submit proposals for workshop and roundtable presentations on topics that can provide future “family science” professionals (i.e., students) with information, ideas, and mentorship related to the field.
A special note to students. In order to promote professional development, students can expect a multi-tiered feedback process regarding this event.
- Students will receive meaningful feedback on their proposals for what to revise and strengthen in order to ensure a complete presentation is ready for the upcoming conference.
- Following presentations at the conference, students will be provided meaningful feedback from academic faculty on presentation strengths as well as areas for improvement.
- During the conference, a social outing (with food and beverage) will be facilitated to provide students an opportunity to network with other professionals who share similar interests.
Student Awards: Four Student Awards will be given at the 2020 Conference: Outstanding Undergraduate Paper Presentation, Outstanding Undergraduate Poster Presentation, Outstanding Graduate Paper Presentation, and Outstanding Graduate Poster Presentation. Students must specify if they want to be considered for an award during the submission of their proposal.
Proposal submissions will be accepted until December 15, 2019 and notification by January 15, 2020. All submissions received by December 15, 2019 will receive full consideration and may be accepted, rejected, or recommended for resubmission (with revisions). To access the PDF with the full “call for proposal” details click on the link below.
To access the rubric reviewers will use to review proposals click here
To access the proposal submission portal click here
SECFR is also accepting sponsorship’s for the upcoming annual conference that range from picture advertisements in our program to exhibit tables at the conference location. More information on the types of sponsorship available can be found in the PDF flier below.
To register as an attendee or a sponsor click here